I’m going to call the first miniature temari a success:
I used a simple 8 rose garden design in one strand of DMC floss in various colors, and one strand of DMC metallic gold. (In other news, I had to pick up some yellow pearl cotton and spied a very fine silk pearl at the needlework store that looked idea for small temari. I resisted, but it was tough. They also had a bamboo floss that intrigued me.) I sewed a jump ring onto the obi and strung ribbon through it. Here’s how it looks on:
Excuse my blurry self-portrait. It’s, well, a self-portrait.
The intended recipient of this is my sister, whose birthday is very soon, but this was fun to make. It’s not out of the realm of possibility that other necklace wearers in my immediate family might end up getting these on gift-giving occasions.
Good golly these things are fun. I’ve been playing away with them, while the poor black dog wants only a little finishing, and the cat project harumphs from the corner, wondering why it’s not even on the fabric yet. Don’t we remember we wanted that to be done by Christmas?
interlocking triangles and rose garden
My five year old requested a temari for himself. His favorite colors are yellow and rainbow. The result (still in progress) is a masterpiece of subtlety and understatement:
I’m intrigued by the possibility of temari jewelry, so I’ve loaded up on 1/2 inch wooden beads and small styrofoam balls. We’ll see how that works out–getting the measurements accurate on an extremely wee mari might be a challenge. But it sounds like a fun challenge.
A few years back, I made temari for everyone in my family for Christmas. I also made several for our Christmas tree. Then I took a break from them. The book I used got boxed up when we moved, and it wasn’t as though I was lacking in other things to sew. Recently I found the book and have been getting back into making them– starting with the simpler ones and working my way back up to the more complex ones. As you do when you’re years out of practice.
Busy week, but not entirely without sewing time. I’m getting close to the end of the black dog.
I wanted red dots somewhere in the pattern, since they feature heavily in the source inspiration, but too close to the dog and they looked kind of weird. So instead I added them (in the form of French knots) around the knotwork, and I’m happy with how that turned out. All that’s left is the his doggy nose, possibly a few more French knots, and some finishing.
Going in a totally different direction with the next big project, which is still in the design phase. Here’s a look at my models:
It’s finished! The carnation needlebook is loaded up with needles and ready to be tossed into an embroidery bag.
I was a little nervous about assembling the needlebook, but it ended up working well, with only a few missteps along the way.
Happy Fourth of July to fellow residents of the US! I’m looking forward to a day of barbeque, swimming, fireworks, and a reading of the Declaration of Independence, not necessarily in that order.
To the world, happy new subatomic particle day! It could be the Higgs boson particle. Which would be massively* cool.
Enjoy your day!
*extremely weak** physics pun
Well, thumbtacks, anyway.
I finished the needlebook cover last night, and in a strangely timely manner, Mary Corbet featured a post on damp blocking finished embroidery this morning over at Needle ‘n’ Thread. (If I seem to link to her site often, it’s because I find it extremely informative. Like having a friendly and knowledgeable stitcher in my computer.) The back cover of the needlebook came through the stitching process pretty smoothly, but the front, which is more heavily embroidered, got distorted. I used a Q-snap frame for this piece. Perhaps I have a heavy stitching hand, but I found myself having to tighten the fabric pretty often, and that may have contributed.
The quality of this picture is not great (sorry!) but you can see the wibbliness of the embroidery on the right. For stage two, I pinned it without mercy.
Much better! I misted it with water, and am now leaving it alone until it dries. Then it’s on to the assembly, which is going to feature a certain amount of trial and error.