Much happier with the Turkey work on this squirrel than on the experimental mice. Thanks to all the suggestions from everyone, I padded his face with felt to get more dimension so that his tail wouldn’t overwhelm him completely.
The initial loops:
I added a line of split stitch to push the tail fur away from his body:
Then it was time for the haircut.
Then that haircut needed a haircut.
I added another row of split stitch in a darker brown to get more definition between the body and the tail, and I’m pleased with how he turned out. His belly is also Turkey stitch, but with a much more severe haircut. I like the contrast.
Another aspect of this that I worked out as I went was the lettering, and I’m very happy with how it turned out.
Forgive my blurry photo; I’ll try for a better picture next time. I neglected to take any progress shots, but I still have one date to stitch in, so I’ll remedy that. I chose a font (Bookman Old Style, one of my favorite serif fonts) and printed out the names and dates in 12 point. I then traced them onto tracing paper and cut out squares with the names on them. I basted them into place, then stitched the names over the tracing paper. (I used backstitch with one strand of floss.) When I was done, I tore the paper away and filled in any gaps.
Next time, I’ll have pictures of the finished project (except for that one date, yet to be determined!) and a few other things I’ve been working on.