The Final Catdown

Right-hand kitty is almost done:

JasmineI had to move the fabric from a q-snap frame to a hoop to work her tail. The fabric I’m using is cut from one of my dad’s old shirts, so there’s not a whole lot of extra to work with. Continue reading

Advertisements

Caturday

 

It’s Saturday! Have some cat faces. I decided that the poor little cat eyes looked blank and disturbing without any color, so I went ahead and filled in with cotton floss. Hopefully it looks shiny next to the wool I’m using for the fur. For the eyes, I radiated straight stitches out from the pupil, and for the noses, I filled in with split stitch.

Cat face!

Continue reading

Cat progress

I had put the cats aside for a while, but recently I realized that, should I wish to finish them by THIS Christmas (which for those of you keeping score at home would be a year after I intended to give them to my mother LAST Christmas,) I ought to get going on them again.

So I pulled them off, got out the black and gray wool, and here’s where we are.

Cats!Still a ways to go, but coming along. I anticipate some stitching time in the upcoming weeks, and I’d like to get these knocked out. I’ve got an assortment of colored wool for the background and plan on trying out a number of filler stitches in many colors since the cats themselves are pretty monochrome.

Finished: Kingfisher

Or should I say King-finished?

KingfinishedI am absolutely pleased with how he turned out. If you were to compare him to the picture on the kit you would see a few differences, (some due to my errors in transferring the design, some due to the learning curve as I stitched him, and some just because different people will stitch differently,) but nonetheless,  I’ll be proud to hang him on a wall somewhere.

Continue reading

And now for something completely different.

I’m about finished with the kingfisher, but before I show you the finished project, here are some other birds I’ve been playing around with. These guys are in a completely different style, based off a painted plate my parents got on a trip to Italy.

Ribbon BirdI made this a while back, and there are some things I’d do differently now (mainly the sloppy stitching on the breast, oh well.) I wanted to play with two things–first, doing a drawing on fabric in crayon and ironing it to form a base for the stitches, and second, playing around with ribbons and beads. These birds are kind of blingtastic.

Continue reading