Experimenting with Color

As I mentioned here, a while back I stumbled across the work of Kimika Hara. Her work has me thinking about how I approach color. My approach to animals has mostly been what I would call more naturalistic, tending toward the specific colors one might actually find on said animal. But–why not play with other colors?

So here goes. I started with a base of two strands of floss in fairly tame, natural colors (except on the animals’ faces, where I used a single strand):

baseline foxThen I started adding color.

Continue reading

Advertisements

On Pins and Needles

So close to finished!

After finishing the stitching on the cats (yay!) I wet-blocked them to get rid of some of the wibbly bits where the stitching had distorted the ground fabric. I washed the piece with Soak no-rinse wash and then rolled it in a towel to get rid of excess moisture. Then, I pinned the heck out of it, making sure that it fit the dimensions of the pillow form (18″ by 18″) and that the edges were more or less straight.

blocking Continue reading