I mentioned before that I haven’t used much seed stitch before. I added it to another panel here and it was fun to work. I tried varying the stitch a little just to see what different effects I could get. The results were fun (though I doubt anyone but me is ever going to notice in person!)
We spent last week in an undisclosed location.
(It was the beach.)
In between swimming and eating remarkably well, I did get a few stitches in.
As you can see, I was too lazy to take the hoop out, but when I finish the current green section, I’ll take a better picture. It’s been a lot of fun winging the background of the piece and exploring new-to-me stitches. Cretan stitch, in the purpley-blue section on the right was a blast to work.
I’m looking forward to blocking this and figuring out how to construct the pillow. I’m very pleased with how it’s coming out.
I’ve taken the opportunity to play around with French knots inside lattice stitch, whipped stem stitch, and seed stitch, which is such a basic filler, but for some reason I’ve always avoided it. Because it’s such a flat filler, it contrasts nicely here with the raised stem stitch swirls.
Hope everyone has a great weekend!
The background, that is. I’m pretty much winging it with various filler stitches in randomly-drawn blocks.
The top shape is lattice stitch filled with alternating French knots, green in wool, blue in cotton floss. The lower shape is buttonhole stitch in wool, whipped with wool and floss. The borders between shapes are stem stitch and whipped chain stitch. Part of the fun here is going to be varying the filler stitches and exploring some that I haven’t used as much before. (Buttonhole stitch as a filler instead of a border is new to me, as far as I recall.)
The plan, such as it is, is for the foreground to proceed more or less in rainbow order left to right, and the background to reverse it. So while I’m starting with blues and greens in the lower left, and planning to end with red-purples in the lower right, the upper left will have red-purples and go through some variation on ROYGBIV to blue-greens in the upper right. It makes sense in my head, anyway.
My palette here is determined by the scraps of wool that I have, which are left over from other projects. I’m introducing elements of cotton floss as well to expand my color range to better fit the range I want. I may end up going to the store to supplement my wool, but I’m trying to avoid that. This is supposed to be a stash buster, not a stash expander.
The border of the image is Noro Silk Garden couched with tapestry wool. I had some left from a long-stalled knitting project, and this seemed like a good way to use some of it.
Right-hand kitty is almost done:
I had to move the fabric from a q-snap frame to a hoop to work her tail. The fabric I’m using is cut from one of my dad’s old shirts, so there’s not a whole lot of extra to work with. Continue reading
Many gorgeous pieces at her flickr at the link above.
It’s Saturday! Have some cat faces. I decided that the poor little cat eyes looked blank and disturbing without any color, so I went ahead and filled in with cotton floss. Hopefully it looks shiny next to the wool I’m using for the fur. For the eyes, I radiated straight stitches out from the pupil, and for the noses, I filled in with split stitch.