We spent last week in an undisclosed location.
(It was the beach.)
In between swimming and eating remarkably well, I did get a few stitches in.
As you can see, I was too lazy to take the hoop out, but when I finish the current green section, I’ll take a better picture. It’s been a lot of fun winging the background of the piece and exploring new-to-me stitches. Cretan stitch, in the purpley-blue section on the right was a blast to work.
I’m looking forward to blocking this and figuring out how to construct the pillow. I’m very pleased with how it’s coming out.
I wondered how many posts I could title Caturday before the internet rose up and strangled me, so I’m focusing on the color aspect of this one instead. More filling stitches!
I’ve taken the opportunity to play around with French knots inside lattice stitch, whipped stem stitch, and seed stitch, which is such a basic filler, but for some reason I’ve always avoided it. Because it’s such a flat filler, it contrasts nicely here with the raised stem stitch swirls.
To the right, you also see feather and fly stitch next to plain old fly stitch in what is thus far the most open of these blocks of filler stitches.
Hope everyone has a great weekend!
The background, that is. I’m pretty much winging it with various filler stitches in randomly-drawn blocks.
The top shape is lattice stitch filled with alternating French knots, green in wool, blue in cotton floss. The lower shape is buttonhole stitch in wool, whipped with wool and floss. The borders between shapes are stem stitch and whipped chain stitch. Part of the fun here is going to be varying the filler stitches and exploring some that I haven’t used as much before. (Buttonhole stitch as a filler instead of a border is new to me, as far as I recall.)
The plan, such as it is, is for the foreground to proceed more or less in rainbow order left to right, and the background to reverse it. So while I’m starting with blues and greens in the lower left, and planning to end with red-purples in the lower right, the upper left will have red-purples and go through some variation on ROYGBIV to blue-greens in the upper right. It makes sense in my head, anyway.
My palette here is determined by the scraps of wool that I have, which are left over from other projects. I’m introducing elements of cotton floss as well to expand my color range to better fit the range I want. I may end up going to the store to supplement my wool, but I’m trying to avoid that. This is supposed to be a stash buster, not a stash expander.
The border of the image is Noro Silk Garden couched with tapestry wool. I had some left from a long-stalled knitting project, and this seemed like a good way to use some of it.
Right-hand kitty is almost done:
I had to move the fabric from a q-snap frame to a hoop to work her tail. The fabric I’m using is cut from one of my dad’s old shirts, so there’s not a whole lot of extra to work with. Continue reading
Beautiful Work by Kimika Hara
I’ve been staring at these pieces by Kimika Hara all weekend. I love the use of color. Painterly is the word that keeps springing to mind. I couldn’t be more charmed.
Many gorgeous pieces at her flickr at the link above.
It’s Saturday! Have some cat faces. I decided that the poor little cat eyes looked blank and disturbing without any color, so I went ahead and filled in with cotton floss. Hopefully it looks shiny next to the wool I’m using for the fur. For the eyes, I radiated straight stitches out from the pupil, and for the noses, I filled in with split stitch.
I had put the cats aside for a while, but recently I realized that, should I wish to finish them by THIS Christmas (which for those of you keeping score at home would be a year after I intended to give them to my mother LAST Christmas,) I ought to get going on them again.
So I pulled them off, got out the black and gray wool, and here’s where we are.
Still a ways to go, but coming along. I anticipate some stitching time in the upcoming weeks, and I’d like to get these knocked out. I’ve got an assortment of colored wool for the background and plan on trying out a number of filler stitches in many colors since the cats themselves are pretty monochrome.